Changing Child Support To Meet Changed Circumstances

Modification of decrees is among the most common legal actions. Why? Because families' and children's circumstances are always changing, and therefore the law must allow for frequent adjustments, particularly to spousal support and child support.

The Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, law firm of Shaffer & Engle Law Offices, LLC, can help you petition the family law court for a modification in your support decree. We have handled hundreds of modification cases involving almost all possible scenarios. We also assist clients in efforts to enforce existing child support orders.

If your financial situation, or the needs of your child, have substantially changed, talk with an experienced Harrisburg child support modification lawyer at Shaffer & Engle Law Offices, LLC. Call 717-827-4074.

What Constitutes A 'Significant Change?'

Either party to a child support order can ask the court to modify that order upward or downward. However, the court will not order a change in the amount of child support unless there is proof of a significant change in income or life circumstances.

  • Has the support-paying parent lost a job or had hours or wages cut? Did he or she receive a significant raise?
  • Has the support-receiving parent become aware that the paying parent had previously lied to the court and hidden assets or income?
  • Did a support-paying parent have another child for whom he or she must also provide support?
  • Did child custody arrangements change so that one parent now has far more custodial time with the child than the other? This will typically result in higher support payments from the other parent.
  • Have the needs of the child changed substantially — he no longer needs day care, she suffers from a serious illness requiring costly in-home care from a nursing service?
  • Does a child with a disability require special educational services at an additional cost?

Each of these situations could result in an increased or decreased child custody award. A Pennsylvania support modification lawyer at our firm can prepare your petition and craft your case for court.

Contact Us To Discuss A Potential Modification

If you have questions about child support modification or enforcement, contact the attorneys of Shaffer & Engle Law Offices, LLC. We accept credit cards, are available for evening and weekend appointments and operate two offices for your convenience. Call 717-827-4074. We have offices in Harrisburg, serving all communities in Dauphin County, Cumberland County, York County, Northumberland County and Franklin County.

Visit Our Harrisburg Office
2205 Forest Hills Drive Suite 10
Harrisburg, PA 17112

Phone: 717-827-4074
Fax: 717- 545-3083
Harrisburg Law Office Map