Shaffer & Engle Personal attention. Compassionate response. Fast Results.
Shaffer & Engle Personal attention. Compassionate response. Fast Results.

Harrisburg Criminal Defense And Family Law Blog

Partner With A Trusted Legal Ally, Call:

Paperwork you need to file for divorce in Pennsylvania

Are you ready for a divorce but are unsure where to start? The complexity and length of the divorce process can make it intimidating to tackle. With the help of a family law attorney, it can be manageable.

The first step is to gather and complete all the necessary paperwork for your divorce. Which documents you need to file may vary depending on your circumstances, but the most common ones are as follows.

Are you carrying someone else's prescription drugs?

There are strict rules governing the use of prescription drugs. In large part, the strictness stems from the potential of abuse. After all, many prescription drugs are in demand and/or addictive.

In fact, could it be likely that you have been violating these rules, opening yourself up to the possibility of serious criminal charges?

3 common misconceptions about juvenile crimes

The number of total juvenile arrests in Pennsylvania has steadily declined over the years. In 2006, 8,574.4 juvenile arrests took place out of every 100,000 individuals between the ages of 10 and 17. By 2014, the rate was only at 4,883.5. 

Many parents hope they never have to deal with their children going into the criminal justice system. Part of these worries come down to misconceptions many people hold about juvenile crimes. It is vital to separate fact from fiction so that parents can take the best action for their kids. 

3 tips for managing your emotions during a high-conflict divorce

It's a sad reality that some divorces unravel into nasty and bitter battles. Even if you are a strong and resilient person, the toxicity and negativity can overwhelm you. If you are heading towards or embroiled in a high-conflict divorce, you may wonder how you are going to make it through.

You may feel like the arguments will consume you, but it's important to believe in yourself and to know that you can and will get through this difficult time. Below are some helpful tips for navigating a high-conflict breakup.

3 ripple effects of a white collar conviction

Being charged with a white collar crime is no small matter. While it may lack the stigma of drug charges or other types of crimes, the consequences may be no less severe. Offenses such as bank fraud, embezzlement and RICO violations all have the potential to land you in prison and majorly disrupt your life.

Apart from the obvious, though, there are several other ways a conviction can impact you. According to the Huffington Post, felony convictions typically have consequences that last a lifetime. There are many ripple effects that can make recovering from such an event difficult. Take the following into consideration, and fight against charges so that you do not have to deal with these disadvantages. 

Differences in Pennsylvania juvenile and adult defense

If your child has been charged with an offense and is destined for a trip through the juvenile justice system, one of your concerns may be whether he or she will be treated the same as an adult. The answer is that unless your child is charged as an adult, he or she should have an experience that focuses more on help and rehabilitation and less on punishment.

Even some of the lingo in the juvenile justice system is different than it is for adults. For example, there are "adjudication hearings" instead of trials and "juvenile acts" instead of crimes. The criminal records of minors are also sealed. However, your child is not entitled to a jury trial or to bail.

What is embezzlement?

Embezzlement is a crime against property. The key aspect that differentiates it from other types of theft is that the accused had legal access to money belonging to another.

Simply taking property that is not yours is stealing. Embezzlement occurs when you have access to the property due to a position of trust and authority.