Shaffer & Engle Law Offices, LLC

What to Do When You've Gotten a Traffic Ticket in PA

  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel | Nation's Top One Percent 2017 | NADC
  • Lawyers of Distinction
  • The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Trial Lawyers
  • Nation's Premier | NACDA | Top Ten Ranking 2017
  • BBB | Accredited Business

I just got pulled over and cited for speeding in PA, now what do I do?...I'm from another state.

By Attorney Elisabeth Pasqualini, Criminal Law Division Leader, Harrisburg, PA

I often field calls from clients that are seeking advice on what to do when they've received a citation from PA.  Here's what NOT  to do:

1)  Become argumentative with the officer;

2)  Ask the officer if the offense carries points in your home state...most do not know and therefore, will not often provide you with good advice anyway;

3)  Crumple up the ticket and forget about it;

Here's what you SHOULD DO;

1)  Contact an attorney to find out if the offense in PA will carry points, a suspension, or revocation of your license in your home state;

2)  Plead "Not Guilty," even if you think you've been cut a break, and mail the citation in with the full amount of the ticket or $50 (if no amount filled in), plus $7 for the cost of the hearing; and

3)  Secure a certified copy of your current driver's licensing record in your home state.  If that's Pennsylvania, here's the link to do it quickly and cheaply:

PA Driving History

At Shaffer & Engle Law Offices, LLC we look forward to assisting out-of-state drivers with their traffic tickets and other licensing concerns.  It should be no surprise that an offense in PA may affect your license status in your home state.  You may call us toll free or email us.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Visit Our Harrisburg Office
2205 Forest Hills Drive Suite 10
Harrisburg, PA 17112

Phone: 717-827-4074
Fax: 717- 545-3083
Harrisburg Law Office Map